I Beat With My Dragonwings

 

I beat with my dragonwings against my earthmother asking why?
Why didn’t you teach me, show me the locked-away gardens,
Draw me the map I have cried for, hand me the burning key?

I wander the forking skyways diving for summerfat answers
Every fledgling more skillful than I, every toddler wiser,
Every kindergarten full of mockery at know-nothing me

Unpaged, half-hearing, the wind runs straight through me, 
The worldflames knock me this way and that
The lightning makes me dance a wilding

And yet–and yet. I spear the questions one way
And the answerflowers bloom in the opposite place.
I frustrate the angryhours hot, cold, and they temper

I hammer the doors of tell me, tell me, tell me
And they melt into whispers of why then? why?
And they rustle back: Just look at yourself!

Which I can’t, which I can’t, which I can’t.

I beat with my puny hands against my great, solid mother
Asking why? And she says nothing at all, but builds me
Yet one more pair of soaring, unreachable dragonwings. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 21–22. How long? How long?

The same road

Lonely