Who we were

 

My mother gave me
a word
a wrist
a twist of the knee
a song
a book
a hunger

My father gave me
fear 
arguments
sentiment
a push
a pull
a hunger

My sister gave me
games
scissors
answers
a whispered bond
something to aim for
someone to watch

My mother wanted
warmth
adventure 
love

My father wanted
truth 
perfection
family

My sister wanted
bare feet
freedom

What was I
supposed to want?

My mother was tougher
than she looked 
than she knew
in her dreamy far-off world
she could be
untouchable

My father was less guarded
than he would have liked
to be
easier to touch
easier to wound
if I’d only known

My sister was prettier
than she wanted to be
and than me
and pricklier
than I wanted her to be
and than me

All I was
was littler
littler
littler

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 21–22. How long? How long?

The same road

Lonely